Monday 4 July 2011

Legion of Superheroes: Teenage Revolution - Mark Waid & Barry Kitson

Back in the late 80s early 90s when I was working in a comic shop in Cardiff I was loaned a large stack of the Paul Levitz Legion comics. With the exception of the dumb as fuck names I loved them. A glorious, big superhero sci-fi extravaganza. I was hooked. Later came the Keith Giffen '5 Years Later' storyline which to this day I still adore and features some of my favourite ever comic art,

End of last year I read, from the library, a Justice League comic called 'The Lightning Saga' which featured various members of the Legion. It got me fancying some 30th century action so I picked up the 2 Mark Waid Legion books from a few years back. They are a complete relaunch from the stuff I know - apparently there was another relaunch before this and another with the Lightning Saga Legion Which has taken everything back to the old time Legion with Levitz back writing too.

Anyway, the Waid Legion is a militantly teenage organisation fighting for the freedom to be unique amidst an oppressively moralistic society. It's very much the angsty emo Legion but luckily it's got a fun little story bubbling at it's core and beautiful Barry Kitson art.

This first volume takes a little while to get into the story as it spends most of it's pages introducing and re-introducing characters. Some old faves are missing - no Mon-El - and others are changed - Element Lad is even wetter and Ultra Boy is a headcase - but it's mostly a fun re-imagining with only a few wtf moments - the Phantom Girl origin is massively naff.

It should be fun seeing where he takes / took this.

No comments:

Post a Comment