Sunday 12 June 2011

B.P.R.D.: Hollow Earth and Other Stories - Mike Mignola & others

I'd already read one of the later BPRD books so I was intrigued to check out this original one. It turns out to be an anthology book of five (maybe six) short tales.

The first, 'Hollow Earth', is a nice introduction to Johann Krauss - the disembodied astral projection in a rubber suit. The story sees him and the team rescuing Liz (the firestarter) from a subterranean monster type thingy waving a staff / sword doohickey similar to the one in the Witchfinder book I mentioned in an earlier post. It's a fine intro to the team - taking some other origin story sideroads along the way - and proved to be excellent fun.

The Lobster Johnson story - again his first - was also a bit of fun but was there ever a more naffly named character.

The only real low point came with the final story about the boats, drums & sharks which apart from being fairly mawkish had some of the ugliest art I've seen in a long long time.

I'm slowly building up my exposure to Hellboy and his assorted spin-offs. So far I'm very favourably impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment