Wednesday 21 November 2012

Hellboy vol.1: Seed of Destruction - Mike Mignola & John Byrne

The first collection of Hellboy stories and it is cracker.  I've actually read more of the Hellboy spin-offs than I have the actual books.  I've even seen more Hellboy films than I have read the books.;  It's nice then to finally get to grips with one of them especially as I have book 2 waiting in the wings also.

The art, as you'd imagine, is beautiful and full of shade and nuance.  From the off both Hellboy and Rasputin are both forceful and dynamic on the page.  I'm not a big fan of the whole Lovecraft pantheon type stuff but here, kept to a minimum, it works well.

The story is an origin tale that gives away very little with regard to H's origin.  It has a nicely Gothic setting and things aren't quite what they seem.

Lots of fun to read and I wholeheartedly intend to catch up on the ones I don't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment