Wednesday 21 November 2012

Vampire Hunter D - Hideyuki Kikuchi

I found this and a couple of his other books in a bargain bookshop the other day. They were a good  price and despite a general ambivalence towards manga I grabbed them.

It was an odd little read. I'm not sure if the writer has / had an odd style or if it's the translator who is at fault.  Some of the passages are really quite strangely written.  For instance, when D and Rei-Ginsei are fighting and D realises that he shouldn't stab at the heart D yells, "That was close" to which his opponent replies "I can't believe you changed your target at the last second...". So far so naff but then Kikuchi begins and explanation of this with...

'Here's what they meant by "That was close" and "you changed your target.".

It really is quite odd.

The story world was nicely realised though and the whole thing romped along with a vaguely spaghetti western flavour to it.  I must admit I quite enjoyed myself but i think maybe not enough to read the others any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment