Saturday 12 September 2015

Sex Criminals volume 1: One Weird Trick

Matt Fraction (writer)
Chip Zdarsky (artist)
Image Comics

Suzie’s just a regular gal with an irregular gift: when she has sex, she stops time. One day she meets Jon and it turns out he has the same ability. And sooner or later they get around to using their gifts to do what we’d ALL do: rob a couple banks. A bawdy and brazen sex comedy for comics begins here!
By Matt Fraction (Satellite Sam, Hawkeye) and Chip Zdarsky (Prison Funnies, Monster Cops).
Named one of Time Magazine's top 10 graphic novels for 2013.
Collects SEX CRIMINALS #1-5
 


So, there's this girl, Suzie, and she has this thing that happens when she comes; the world, quite literally, stops.

Then there's this guy, Jon, it's the same for him.

When they meet and realise they start planning, planning to help the library books.  Unfortunately, in doing so they trigger the ire of what, I suppose, I must call the Sex Police.

Fraction is usually well worth a read, particularly when he's heading in a direction of his own choosing as with Casanova, and here he has created a book which is fun alongside the silly.  It's written as commentary and flashback which I do find slightly irritating usually but that's enlivened here both by the wit of the scripts and by Zdarsky's lovely, playful, cartoony art.

The artist is new to me but I really like what he does and he reminds me a little of Stuart Immonen on Warren Ellis' Nextwave series.

Truthfully I'm not entirely convinced I'm going to buy the next one as it was all a little too pop for me and funds are always tight but I'd certainly borrow it from a library.

No comments:

Post a Comment