Thursday 10 January 2013

The Final Programme - Michael Moorcock



You can pretty much always rely on Mr Moorcock to fire an LSD bomb into your eyes.

I’ve read quite a few Moorcock books over the years and they’ve been predominantly bonkers. I remember the 'Dancers at the End of Time’ series particularly addling my teenage brain. I’d never had the opportunity to read the Jerry Cornelius books until now though. I kinda knew this story as I really love the movie adaptation of it but, unsurprisingly, the book is way stranger.

Cornelius is a dandy adrift amidst a collapsing society. His intellect and his need for people keep him centre place within a society falling into entropy. Into this life walks Miss Brunner who needs information collected by Cornelius’ father and hoarded by his drug addled brother. The quest for this information and the subsequent use she puts it to leads Jerry into a revelation as to his nature and a new existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment