Monday 30 May 2011

Zombo - Al Ewing & Henry Flint

A nice little 2000AD obscurity that I'd never heard of until a friend handed it to me on my birthday. Zombo is a genetically engineered zombie built to kill the other zombies created by the sentient worlds that humans are attempting to colonise - yes you did read that right.

Both the creators are names I'm familiar with but the only thing I can think of by either of them that I've read is Ewings 'El Sombra' steampunk novel that he did for the Pax Britannia series.

Zombo is typical 2000AD - completely gonzo and full of uber-violence. The book features several stories starting with Zombo and the passengers of a government flight crashing onto a deathworld. Most barely make it past the fifth page with the survivors soon being picked off by the local fauna and, strangely, a clan of mutated hillbillies and their game of Twister.

The second story is a silly little Xmas story with the third and final one being an all out zombie romp across an entertainment satellite (a la 5th Element) that riffs on Disney, the Rat Pack and Ocean's Eleven amongst others along the way.

All three tales are a laugh but it's the final one that was the winner for me. I was unsure of the book at first glance but I ended up thoroughly enjoying. Not vintage 2000AD but a good approximation.

No comments:

Post a Comment