Friday 27 May 2011

Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels - Mike Mignola & Ben Steinbeck

At this point I've not read much Hellboy, one GN, two BPRD GNs and a novel, but the ones I had read I really dug, Sure it gets a bit Lovecraft in places but I can forgive that if the rest is up to scratch. Witchfinder is a spin-off featuring Victorian occult detective to the Queen Sir Edward Grey.

The story deals with Grey investigating a series of deaths that are linioed with a bag of bonesfound on an archeological expedition. The investigation leads Grey and his new found friends through a deliciously grimey and inhospitable London full of violent and raggedy people and strange occultist and religious groups. The story's competent enough for an evenings read, I think I'm always going to prefer Mignola as an artist as opposed to as a writer.
The art by Steinbeck is very nice when it comes to scenery but he seems to struggle occasionally with the people, I do mean occasionally though.
In all it was all good outlandish fun. Lovecraft as reimagined by Hammer studios.

No comments:

Post a Comment