Sunday 29 May 2011

Usagi Yojimbo vol 24: Return of the Black Soul - Stan Sakai

Obviously volume 24 of a series was always going to be a problematic jumping on point. I'd known abut Usagi Yojimbo for years but the opportunity to read anything had never materialised until now when this volume turned up in the library.

Usagi is a roaming samurai rabbit who through these volumes is stalking the demon Jei. There's an obvious Lone Wolf & Cub vibe going on but UY is a much lighter affair. The art is nice, clean and b&W with a lovely fluidity of movement between panels. Too many of the books characters look alike though and the brutal jump cuts between, especially perspective but also, to a lesser extent, between characters is disconcerting and kicks you out of the narrative.

I'm glad I finally got the chance to check some of this stuff out. It wasn't really my cup of tea but I'm intrigued enough to rent another should one appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment