Saturday 28 May 2011

Battlefields: Happy Valley - Garth Ennis & P.J. Holden

This is the fourth volume of the series but the first I've read. Wierdly I only found out it existed about a fortnight before I found this copy on New Years eve in Cheltenham.

I can't comment on the other volumes but this one pretty much carries on where his 'War Stories' books left off. It's very much in the tradition of the British war comics I used to love as a kid but with the swearing and the futility left in.

'Happy Valley' concerns the crew of a Wellington bomber who have just received their hot shot new kiddie pilot with only 3 sorties of their stint remaining. It's pretty formulaic stuff plot-wise but Ennis is always readable even when, like here, he's not firing on all cylinders (horrible cliche there - shame on me).

The art is nice - nothing amazing but I really don't dig the colouring - everyone's exactly the same colour. It's not going to stop me keeping an eye out for the others though.

No comments:

Post a Comment