Friday 27 May 2011

Starman vol 1: Sins of the Father - James Robinson


I was given this as a Xmas present by a friend. I'd read it a few years ago when another friend had leant me the set. I remembered quite enjoying it at the time. I think though it must have got better as it went along because this first volume was pretty feeble.
It really felt like a first volume. Too much clearing out of old mythos and too much clumsy world building. Also, and rather annoyingly, he still keeps too much of the backstory like retaining a couple of the clunky old characters such as The Shade, who appears all spooky-like, says something enigmatic before fading back into the shadows.
The main character is personable enough but I'm not feeling much desire to pick up the others after reading this one as I really didn't connect with him or the horribly cliched O'Dare family of cops.
It was an interesting place to go back to revisit - if only to see how much my tastes had changed - but probably not again.

No comments:

Post a Comment