Friday 27 May 2011

Inferno #30: Gaunts Ghosts Special - Dan Abnett

I don't intend to put magazines in here - not that I read very many - but this one is an exception. One issue crammed with Ghost stories. Two short stories, one interview with Abnett, a background of the Tanith First's battles and a run through of all the Ghosts.

The first short story was repeated in the 1st Ghost anthology and I'd read it before whilst leaning against a bookshelf in Borders before it went bust - presumably from too many people reading their books lening against their bookshelves. It tells the story of a sculptor visiting the Ghosts in the ruin of Vervunhive. It's a nifty little tale that I enjoyed second time around as much as I did the first.

The interview and the background info is ok but nothing that ever needs re-reading.

The comic was fun. A quick romp through the different characters as they attacka chaos base. It's got no content to speak of and the art is slightly too macho with none of the characters looking anything like they do in my head but thast was always going to be the case.

The second short astory was the previously unpublished short that was grown into the first of the novels. It really was like reading a synopsis of half the novel. I've not read First & Only for a while now though so it was a fun little nostalgia trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment